Monday, June 30, 2008

Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller, by Sarah Miller


Reviewed by Mrs. Bailey at Okte


This book is based on the true story of Annie Sullivan, who was Helen Keller's first teacher. Helen was a little girl born over a hundred years ago who could not see, hear, or speak. When she first met Helen, Annie was discouraged because it did not seem like she would ever be able to communicate with her. Helen acted like a wild animal, and even knocked out some of Annie's teeth! Both Helen and Annie learned important lessons from each other...and became inseparable lifetime friends.

When I was growing up, I read everything I could about Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan. I love historical fiction, and learned new and interesting things about Annie's life from reading this book.

1 comment:

K said...

This sounds like a great book for Elise. I call her a spitfire!